{ VISITS } Views: 1566  Favorites Favorites: 1  Followers Followers: 1 
    Favorites: psp_frank2
    Followers: psp_frank2
    Newsbot

Reputation point: 25
    Novice

Smithsonian Video Game Exhibit Opens

Postby Shellz » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:06 pm

ImageThe Smithsonian Museum has opened its exhibit on video games, so the Super Nintendo and the Xbox join Lincoln's stove-pipe hat and Fonzie's jacket in the national repository of cool things we want to remember about our history.

The Art of Video Gamesexhibt runs from now until September 30, and promises to "explore the 40-year evolution of video games as an artistic medium, with a focus on striking visual effects, the creative use

of new technologies, and the most influential artists and designers." 

The idea was to take a few artistically striking or relevant titles from each of the major consoles released over the last 4 decades and allow the public to check them out, as well as consider the merit of the artistic contributions famous games have made to the larger culture, so games ranging from Pitfall on the Atari 2600 to Heavy Rain on the PlayStation 3 are represented at the museum. Sadly, there are only five games that are playable at the Smithsonian-- one for each of the "five major eras" of video games.

I wish I could make it to Washington D.C. to check out the collection. Instead, I'll just take a look at this video interview with Chris Melissinos, the currator of the video games exhibit, instead.

So who plans on stopping by?

Quoted: G4 
    Image Image
    WALK MY PLANK!

Return to General Gaming