After Testing with some bricked Slim consoles ( from updating to CFW4.21 ) with different friends and testers around the world,
I can confirm that Bricked consoles can be recovered back to CFW3.55 even if you didn't have a NOR Dump/Backup .
1- a Hardware Flasher so you can read/write to the PS3 NOR flash
2- A Dongle with PSgrade payload (any old jailbreak dongle + PSGrade hex will do) used to Enter Factory Service Mode (FSM)
3- Rogero CEX-3.55 CFW V3.7 ( Clicked 20604 times )
Recovery Procedure :
1- Dump the current NOR Flash of the bricked PS3 at least 3 times using a hardware flasher (Progskeet / E3 / TEENSY++)
2- Verify that it is properly dumped and you have a valid dump by comparing your dumps or following these steps ---> Validating_flash_dumps
3- Patch the dump using Rogero PS3 NOR Auto Patcher ---> PS3_Nor_Dump_Auto_Patcher_v0.01.rar ( Clicked 4863 times )
4- Flash the Patched Dump back into the PS3 NOR using the Hardware flasher.
E3 Nor Dumps are byte-reversed (byte-swapped), but (Progskeet/Teensy/multiMAN/memdump) Dumps are not,
so if you are using E3 for flashing make sure your file is byte-reversed. (Rogero PS3 Nor Auto-Patcher handles both types)
You can also use the program "Flowrebuilder" to byte-reverse a dump.
5- From this point you can continue as a normal Downgrade Procedure by entering Factory Service Mode using the dongle and Flashing
Rogero CEX-3.55 v3.7 from the USB stick.
Simple tutorial to flash the unbrick the PS3 using E3 flasher:
- Take the multiMAN/memdump valid dump, byte-swap it using "Flow-rebuilder" (only when using E3 Flasher, for ProgSkeet/Teensy you don't need to byte-swap it)
- If you don't have a backup dump previously, then simply dump the current NOR many times with E3 flasher (don't byte-swap the E3 dump, it's already byte-swapped)
(make sure you have a good working E3 that is dumping valid data, compare the dumps to make sure you have a consistent dumping, then verify the dump)
- Never Flash the PS3 Nor if you are not 100% sure that you have dumped a valid/correct dump from the NOR.
(if you flash it with a bad dump, this may brick your ps3 permanently beyond repair, because you can't get a valid dump anymore)
- Patch the dump using "Rogero PS3 Nor Auto-Patcher", and Flash it back to ps3.
- After the flashing finishes with all Blue Leds lit one after the other until they start to toggle (left/right) indicating the flashing is finished.
- Turn off the ps3 completely by unplugging the power cable
- Turn it back on again with the HDD inserted, and you should see the : "Connect a ps3 controller" message
- When u see the message, it means the NOR was flashed fine and the patch worked too.
- At this point, ignore the message and turn the ps3 off completely.
- insert your jailbreak dongle with the (PSgrade hex flashed, or any hex file that lets you go into Factory Service Mode)
- Attach power cord again, Press Power then Eject quickly to activate FSM mode
- If the dongle worked correctly, the ps3 should turn off after few seconds on its own and you are in FSM now.
- now put the Rogero3.55 v3.7.PUP + lv2diag.self (the downgrader file) on your USB.
- Insert the USB into the right most port and turn the ps3 on.
- you will see the HDD led flashing for about 5 minutes then the ps3 should turn off when finished.
- now you have to put the second lv2diag.self (size about 2kb, this will let the ps3 exit FSM) on your USB.
- Turn on the Ps3 again, the file will load and the ps3 should turn off by its own after 1 minute.
- Turn on the PS3 again, and you should be on Rogero3.55 v3.7 XMB.
- Restart into Recovery Mode and install Rogero CFW4.30.
Some hints about using the E3 Flasher with the Nor Clip:
The Nor Clip should be seated firmly over the Nor chip, but before you apply pressure to have it clipped right, always make sure the pins are correctly aligned or you will risk damaging the Nor chip.
Then when you clip it right, there must be no space at all between the Clip Plastic sides and the PS3 board, it must be completely straight and flush with the board.
What I do is: I align the clip over the pins from one side of the Nor chip, then I start applying pressure while clipping the other side too, then I press over the 4 corners of the clip with 2 fingers in an X shape motion.
At this point the clip should look completely attached to the chip, so i don't move it anymore and I apply a piece of masking tape over the Flat Cable and not the Clip itself (because you risk moving the clip again and losing the perfect grip).
N.B: always make sure you have the Clip orientation correct, the nor chip have a small round mark over Pin number1, use this point to attach the clip correctly.
Then, Turn on the PS3, if all good the Leds on E3 board should start flashing Blue / toggling Right/Left indicating it is in stand-by mode.
Now, before I start flashing anything, i always make at least 3 dumps and compare them to make sure Reading from the Nor is 100% stable.
If you can't get a stable dumping each time, then remove the clip, try to clean the pins with some alcohol, then re-attach it again and repeat the dumping process.
Once you're 100% sure you are getting stable and matching dumps each time, then you are ready to flash the NOR.
Put the file "bkpps3.bin" on your SD card, attach Sd card back to E3, All 6 switches to down position, and press Start, it should take around 5 minutes to flash the nor.
A very important hint about removing the heatsink
Another very important hint about removing the heatsink while still attached firmly to the board due to the hardened thermal paste, just use a round head screw driver and apply some pressure in the 4 Screws holes so the heatsink will pop-up from the board, because holding the board from the corners or sides and trying to seperate it by force from the heatsink may damage the CPU/GPU solder balls and you can have permanent problems after assembling the PS3 back.
Thanks to "baileyscream" for this post and for the links to his detailed Downgrading Tutorial
baileyscream wrote:if anyone needs a downgrade guide
http://www.ps3crunch.net/forum/threads/ ... #post44363
http://psx-scene.com/forums/f263/ultima ... post983080